Join me on Facebook, too!

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Writing Prompts: What Would You Write?

Okay kids. You know this drill. One writing prompt, six responses. Want to see what's in your heart? Set your timer for five minutes and write whatever comes to you. 

Have fun! -cjh



"How can I speak to you if you won’t even look at me?"...

=========


From Cyd, YA author...

“How can I speak to you if you won’t even look at me?”

“I can’t, I can’t bear to see my reflection in your eyes.”
I wondered what I would see. Regret? Shame?

“We have to face this Eti, face it together. I need to know…”

“No.”

“…know why. Tell me WHY you gave their son the wrong medicine.”

“I… I…”

“Are you angry at them? Jealous of Nehmae? Resentful when Diego and I speak in our old language?”

“It’s Yahilah.”

“What? Choco isn’t even her baby!"

“Yahilah hates me.”

“Hating Yahilah is no reason to hurt someone else’s child.”

When Eti turned around, I knew what she had been trying to hide. Hatred.

“It is,” she said, “if you want everyone to fear you.”
*
-Cyd

=================================

From Maggie:

"How can I speak to you if you won't even look at me? TURN AROUND!" her mom yelled.

"Why? I can hear you just fine."

"What are you hiding?"

"Nothing."

"Then TURN AROUND!"

The air thickened, the lights seemed to dim and the maternal instinct that never existed scratched.

"Stop yelling at me!"

"What will I see if you turn to me, Grace?" A gentle hand was felt on the small of her back.

"Nothing," Grace whispered, "nothing."
*
-Maggie

Always Follow Your Dreams!
Maggie van Galen
Award-Winning Author of The Adventures of Keeno & Ernest Children's Book Series

=================================



From Bette:



“How can I speak to you if you won’t even look at me? You, you – you! Ignoramus! Dammit, Jordan, Look at me.”
            “Why would I want to look at you when you’re growling and overreacting?”
            “Oh!! I can’t believe you did that?”
            “What? Did what? I took my other to lunch!”
            “But we were supposed to be at Amy’s play. You could have – you should have brought your mother!”
            “I forgot. I’m sorry. I really am.” He looked away again. “How was the play?”
            “Oh, my God. O cried. Just seeing her up there in her polar bear suit. It kept falling over her face. And she’s the littlest one there.”
            “Well, I hope she didn’t see you crying. My God, she’ll be traumatized!”
            “Don’t be silly, Jordan. She’s too strong for that.”
            “Yup. And so are you.”
 Bette Lischke
Historical Fiction author
====================================
From Donna:


"How can I speak to you if you won’t even look at me? Can't you please stop doing cartwheels while I am trying to tell you something VERY important.”


“What can be that important?” she called out, as her body stretched and rolled like the spokes of a wagon wheel.

“It’s something you need to know NOW—stop you are making me dizzy!” 

“Go ahead! I’ll do a handstand, then I can look at you upside down.”

“NO! It isn’t proper, I am looking down your nostrils! You are not being serious enough for me to share…”

“Oh, alright then.” She jumped in one hop from standing on her hands to landing on her feet.

“What’s the big deal?”



“The big news is that you have won a place on the gymnastics team for…the olympic team!
*
Donna Seim 
CHARLEY
First Prize for Regional Literature
New England Book Festival
The Eloquent Quill Award
Juvenile fiction
Top Honors, Literary Classics Book Awards


====================

From Elizabeth:

“How can I speak to you when you won’t even look at me,” said Melanie as she faced down her fifteen year-old son.
            “Look at you, look at you. It’ s all about me looking at you but what about you looking at my emails?” Samuel answered with a shake of his long blonde locks.
            Such gorgeous hair. Too bad it’s wasted on my son, Melanie thought for the millionth time.
            “I didn’t try to look at your emails. They fell out onto my eyes as soon as I opened my laptop. Why’re you emailing your friends on my laptop? And if you and your fellow miscreants don’t want to get caught you should be more careful.” 
            She was sure she had leveled him with this advice. And did he know the meaning of miscreants? A good SAT word.
            “And what is this about a party, and it’s this weekend and it’s here? We have talked about this, Sammy. No parties when Dad and I can’t be here to supervise. It’s not about your friends but how it looks to the neighbors. What will be the consequences to us in the long run?” Melanie said.
            Melanie continued to pour the hot pasta into the colander and then searched the frig for the pesto sauce.
            ‘Remember when the Leavitt girl had the party and no parents were home and the boy got so drunk? They put him in the bathtub and he drowned in his own vomit cause the plug was left in. Well, the parents were sited in that case. They were the responsible party.”
            “Mom, there will be no drowning in the bathtub.”


Elizabeth R.
Journalist, Memorist

============================


            .
From Me:

"How can I speak to you if you won't even look at me...
I've tried everything," I said, putting my face inches from his nose.

He stared straight ahead.

"I'm sorry. I truly am. I needed more than what I thought you could give me. I should have tried talking with you first, but I didn't. I was afraid. Do you hear me? I was scared to say anything."

He stared straight ahead. A line of red crept up his neck.

I waited, swallowing back tears. "Then, that's it. I cheated on you. I had to do it for me. To feel loved."

His mouth twitched. Veins bulged from his forehead.

"I forgave you when you strayed. Can you do the same for me?"

The quiet killed me more than anything.

"I'm sorry. We're done." I turned and picked up my packed bag.

I didn't see him move. He came up behind me. His hands wound around my neck.
*
-Me!