Join me on Facebook, too!

Saturday, August 15, 2026

REDISCOVERING TERRIFIC REVIEWS

I'm luxuriating in a benefit small, independent publishers can offer: I'm updating the content and covers of my trilogy.


When I talk with friends who have had the privilege of being published by a large press, they are certainly thrilled at their success, but cringe at what's Out There in their name. One remarked that they felt like they were reading a first draft. Their writing chops had strengthened over the years, and although they still love their story and characters, they would love to revisit their writing and update how they unfolded their tale.

I really dug into my books, and a few surprises awaited me!

The Charity was my first endeavor in writing fiction and the first of The Jessica Trilogy. I had written pieces for Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Nature, and other outlets, and knew how to weave a narrative. But revisiting Charity, I realized how much I had grown as a writer. I have a lot more confidence in my abilities and in my readers. I was able to condense passages and add brush strokes of detail that made my story shine. Today's readers want their story to come at them at a faster clip, and I was happy to oblige them.

Readers of my first book asked me what happened to the characters. I had the answers, and their questions drove me to write The Troubles. 

I realized (huffs nails) that I had a pretty darn good story on my hands.

Even as I was renewing my writing, I noticed more five-star ratings on Goodreads. I guess that what irked me as an author didn't bother my readers at all!

I rediscovered reviews, too. One review in Horse Nation really took me by surprise as I'm not sure I ever saw it. It was published the same day my father died, so I forgive myself for not bird-dogging the blogs and reviews. It was for The Wake, the final installment of the trilogy. How could I not have remembered a review with the headline "A Thrilling Adventure, A Literary Bombshell."

I mean, COME ON!!

So, yeah. I'm super thrilled with this refreshed trilogy.

I think you will be, too.